6 Tips to Give Your Immune System a Boost
A strong immune system can help you fight off infections and bounce back more quickly from illnesses. As we age our immune systems become less efficient, here are some ways you can boost your immunity for better health.
- Wash your hands. Washing your hands thoroughly and often can help prevent the spread of disease-causing germs from one person to another. Be sure to lather hands with soap and scrub for at least 20 seconds before rinsing with water.
- Get vaccinated. The single best way to prevent coronavirus infection and the seasonal flu is to get vaccinated.
- Seek More Sleep. If you aren’t getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, check with your doctor to see what you can do to improve your sleep. A good night’s sleep prevents colds, flu, inflammation, and helps fight off infections.
- Eat well-balanced meals. A healthy diet is essential to a strong immune system. As you age, your nutritional needs and eating habits may change for a variety of reasons. But in addition to a weakened immune system, poor nutrition or malnutrition can also affect heart health, lead to type 2 diabetes and some forms of cancer and weaken bones and muscles.
- Stay active. Regular physical activity can help older adults stay strong, independent, and healthy, and can help strengthen your immune system.
- Reduce stress levels. Participating in enjoyable activities that promote relaxation, such as meditation and deep breathing exercises can have positive effects on health. Spending time engaged in activities you enjoy or spending time with friends and family can also reduce stress levels.
Experience the Benefits of Westminster’s Wellness Program
- Westminster approaches the whole-person through the eight dimensions of wellness. Contact us today to learn more about our available activities and schedule a tour of our pool, gym, and yoga studio!